Elkin Disc Golf – April 2022 Newsletter
Disc Golf was invented in the early 1900’s originated from Canada, started by a group of school kids by throwing a tin lid into a 4ft wide circle, although it wasn’t until the 1960’s that it actually started to become a sport and this competitive game is becoming more and more popular by the day!
Disc golf is played by throwing a flying disc into a target, it is usually played on a course with 9-18 hole. You start on a tee pad and throw the disc toward a basket, then you throw again from where the previous throw landed until the basket is reached. The goal is to reach the basket with the least number of throws.
There are different types of discs: Putter, Midrange and Fairway Drivers, each have a weight, style, and thickness suitable for short to long distance throws similar to regular golf.
Benefit of Playing Disc Golf:
- Vitamin D
- Weight Loss
- Make New Friends
- Relief Stress
- Boost Energy & Mood
- And Many More….
While visiting us here at Byrd’s Branch Campground come play a round on our 9-hole disc golf course it’s fun for the whole family, Pick up supplies and map in the camp store.
Congratulations to the “1st Annual Byrd’s Branch Open” Discs Golf Tournament winners:
The Handicap Happy Campers” (Andy Ricchini, Bryan Rudd & Larena Carrier)
Men’s 2022 Disc Golf Champion (Drew Cook)
Ladies 2022 Disc Golf Champion (Kelly Rudd)
Easter Egg Surprise (Pick an egg at check-in, win a prize)
Saturday 4/16/22 Easter Crafts, Popcorn and Snow cones.
4/22/22 Earth Day
4/23/22 Elkin Valley Cruisers Car show
5/7/22 Paint & Sip class 11am
5/7/22 Wine & Chocolate night 7pm (Bring a bottle to share)
5/8/22 Mother’s Day
5/21/22 Elkin Wine Festival
5/28/22 Ice Cream Social 7pm
5/30/22 Memorial Day
Cooking at Camp Recipes:
Grilled Apple pie foil packs
- 4 assorted apples (Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Gala), cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- ljuice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of kosher salt
FOR THE CRUST
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- 1 premade pie crust
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon sugar
- Ice cream
- Melted caramel
- Toasted chopped pecans
This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site.
- Heat grill over medium heat. Make apples: In a large bowl, toss together apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- Prepare crust: On a lightly floured surface, roll out crust and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar all over. Cut dough in half widthwise, then cut into 32 one-inch strips.
- Make individual lattice crusts by laying 4 strips of crust side by side. Lift one end of the first and third pieces of crust and lay a fifth piece on top. Lay the first and third back down and lift the second and fourth pieces. Lay a sixth piece on top and repeat with 2 more pieces of crust.
Repeat to make 3 more lattice tops with remaining crust.
- Cut 4 large pieces of foil about 10″ long and divide apples between foil pieces. Place a lattice on top of each then roll top and bottom edges of foil to seal. Place on grill and cook until apples are fork-tender, and crust is cooked, 15 minutes.
To serve: Top with a scoop of ice cream, caramel, and toasted pecans before serving.
Byrd’s Branch Campground is located in the Foothills of Elkin, North Carolina. With 14 RV sites and 4 tent sites it offers a relaxing getaway the whole family can enjoy!
Call For Reservations:
Dwaine Carrier: 336-366-0603
Larena Carrier: 336-366-9955