Area Hiking Trails:
There are a number of hiking opportunities in the area for the casual hiker to the more experienced. From the short trails to vineyards and waterfalls to the more challenging hikes through the local mountains, we have provide the list below for those close to Byrd’s Branch Campground:
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Carter Falls and Powerhouse Foundation:
Length: One mile loop – easy to moderate – Surface: natural. (*1 See more information about Carter Falls) *
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Grassy Creek Vineyard:
Length: 1.5 miles one way – Difficulty: easy to moderate – Surface: natural. *
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Brookfall Dairy Road:
Length: 1.4 miles one way – Difficulty: easy to moderate – Surface: natural.
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Carter Mill Road and Issacs’ Trailhead – Parking.
Length: 2.4 miles one way – Difficulty: easy to moderate – Surface: natural.
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Stone Mountain: Length: 18.1 miles to park headquarters. One way (Trail and road walking)
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Elkin: Length: 6 miles. One way (Trail and road walking.)
- Elkin “in town” Trail from tree sign on Main Street to the gong.”
Length: 2 miles – Difficulty: easy level grade – Surface: Side walk/granite dust.
- Elkin Municipal Park (Elkin & Alleghany Railroad Trail) 1.5 miles one way. *
- Over Mountain Victory Trail (In town trail from Elkin Park through main street Elkin.)
- Wells Knob section
Length: 3 miles – Difficulty: easy to strenuous – Surface: natural, some gravel road.
- Jonesville Greenway – Bluff Street, Jonesville
Length: 2 miles – Difficulty: easy – Surface: natural (Covered Bridge). *
- Stone Mountain State Park (20-minute Drive from Byrd’s Branch Campground.) *
- Pilot Mountain State Park (40-minute drive from Byrd’s Branch Campground) *
- Blue Ridge Parkway (30-minute Drive from Byrd’s Branch Campground) *
- Elkin’s Mountain Bike Loop:
Starts on the trail at the Elkin Municipal Park:
*Elkin Creek Trail – Intermediate level 3.5-mile loop.
*Iron Falls Trail – difficult 2-mile loop off of the Elkin Creek Trail.
- Paddling – Yadkin River
Ronda to Elkin: 7 miles, 3 -4 hours
Elkin to Burch Station: 6.5 miles, 3 hours
Burch Station to Rockford: 12 miles, 6 hours
Elkin to Rockford: 18.5 miles all day trip
Located on the Big Elkin Creek, Wilkes County
- Constructed by: Elkin Light and Power Company and placed in operation: 1914
- Sold to the Town of Elkin by deed dated February 15, 1915.
- Sold to Southern Public Utilities Company (Maine) by deed dated, June 29, 1926
- Sold to Southern Public Utilities (New Jersey) by deed dated, April 4, 1935
- Sold to Duke Power Company by deed dated, May 1, 1935
- Hydro Plant last operated when flume failed, June 21, 1963
- Power Station retired and dam breached, September 30, 1967
- Acreage, including the east side of Carter Falls sold to Attorney Daniel J. Park, mid 1980’s
- 43.3 acres, including east side of Carter Falls sold to the State of North Carolina, December 19, 2017
- Mountains to Sea Linear State Park Trail access to Carter Falls, opened to public for the first time, 2018
- Suspension Bridge across the lower section of Carter Falls, in the planning stage.
Call For Reservations:
Dwaine Carrier: 336-366-0603
Larena Carrier: 336-366-9955