Byrd’s Branch Campground is located along the Mountains to Sea Trail in Elkin NC. This part of the trail is classified as the Elkin to Stone Mountain Trail. Enjoy a leisurely stroll, day trip, or spend the night along Byrd’s Branch. Hike to Grassy Creek Winery only one and a half miles. Experience nature with a walk through a White Pine Forest blanketed with nettles, or hike only 6 miles along Grassy Creek and Elkin Creek to the Elkin Park, this part of the trail is open with some highway walking.
If you’re looking for a peaceful place to pitch your tent, or park your RV, Byrd’s Branch Campground is the perfect place. Located in the country, yet close enough to Historic Downtown Elkin to meander the streets to shop, or enjoy a nice meal.
One Way Mileage
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Grassy Creek Vineyard: Length: 1.5 miles – Difficulty: easy to moderate – Surface: natural.
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Brookfall Dairy Road: Length: 1.4 miles – Difficulty: easy to moderate – Surface: natural.
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Carter Mill Road: Length: 2.4 miles – Difficulty: easy to moderate – Surface: natural.
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Stone Mountain: Length: 18.1 miles to park headquarters.
- Byrd’s Branch Campground to Elkin: Length: 6 miles.
- Elkin “in town” Trail from tree sign on Main Street to the gong. Length: 2 miles – Difficulty: easy level grade – Surface: Side walk/granite dust.
- Beautiful river walk trail starting at the Elkin Municipal Park meandering along side the Big Elkin Creek, 1.1 miles one way.
- Over Mountain Victory Trail (In town trail from Elkin Park through main street Elkin.)
- Wells Knob section: Length: 3 miles – Difficulty: easy to strenuous – Surface: natural, some gravel road.
- Jonesville Greenway – Bluff Street, Jonesville: Length: 2 miles – Difficulty: easy – Surface: natural (Covered Bridge).
- Stone Mountain State Park (25 minutes from Byrd’s Branch Campground.) Miles of trails, easy to strenuous, natural surfaces, waterfalls.
Elkin’s Mountain Bike Loop
Starts on trail at the Elkin Municipal Park, 3 mile loop.
Paddling – Yadkin River
- Ronda to Elkin: 7 miles, 3 -4 hours
- Elkin to Burch Station: 6.5 miles, 3 hours
- Burch Station to Rockford: 12 miles, 6 hours
- Elkin to Rockford: 18.5 miles all day trip
Distance from Byrd’s Branch Campground:
- Grassy Creek Vineyard: 1.5 mile HIKE, or 2.3 mile drive (6 minutes)
- Elkin Creek Vineyard: 1.3 mile (4 minutes)
- Adagio Vineyard: 1.2 mile (4 minutes)
Highway 21 - North
- Jones Von Drehle: 10 miles (14 minutes)
- McRichie Winery & Ciderworks: 9.8 miles (13 minutes)
- Roaring River Vineyard, Restaurant, Lodging: 17.9 miles (24 minutes)
- Slightly Askew Winery: 3.2 miles (6 minutes)
- Menarick Vineyard: 5.9 miles (11 minutes)
- Carolina Heritage: 7.4 miles (11 minutes)
Swan Creek – Yadkin County area
- Dobbins Creek Vineyard: 11.8 miles (17 minutes)
- Piccione Vineyard: 13.9 miles (20 minutes)
- Raffaldini Vineyard: 14.2 miles (22 minutes)
- Laurel Gray Vineyard: 15.3 miles (17 minutes)
- Windsor Run Vineyard: 17.6 miles (21 minutes)
- Shadow Springs: 18.4 miles (22 minutes)
- Shelton Vineyard: 10.3 miles (18 minutes)
- Stony Knoll: 16.6 miles (23 minutes)
- Hutton Vineyard: 16.3 miles (26 minutes)
- Herrera Vineyard: 17.2 miles (23 minutes)
- Round Peak: 20.5 miles (23 minutes)
- Old North State Winery: 27.2 miles (33 minutes)
- Sander’s Ridge Vineyard: 15.7 miles (23 minutes)
- Brandon Hills Vineyard: 23.6 miles (27 minutes)
- Hanover Park: 27.2 miles (30 minutes)
- Skull Camp Brewery: 1.5 miles (4 minutes)
- Angry Troll Brewing: 4.5 miles (Downtown Elkin) (9 minutes)
|Dodge City, Steakhouse & Saloon||2001 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-258-2474|
|Papa John’s Pizza||1635 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-526-9999|
|La Fuenta (Mexican)||1627 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-527-4515|
|Mazzini’s (Pizza, Pasta, etc.)||1521 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-526-7400|
|Shiki (Japanese)||1455 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-835-2493|
|Subway||1428 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-835-7827|
|Burger King||1403 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-526-1080|
|Matty’s (Home Cooking)||1111 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-527-4644|
|Pizza Hut||1039 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-835-6501|
|Domino’s Pizza||835 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-526-5525|
|Speedy Chef (Good variety)||685 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-835-4403|
|Prime Thai||642 N. Bridge St., Elkin||336-835-1466|
|222 Public House (Pizza, Salads, etc.)||222 E. Main St., Elkin||336-258-2251|
|128 W. Main St., Elkin||336-835-0028|
|Royal Soda Shop (Sandwiches, Malts, etc.)||223 W. Main St., Elkin||336-527-4782|
|135 Front St., Elkin||336-835-9693|
|Harry’s Place (Home Cooking, Steaks)|
|Theo’s (Italian)||233 Winston Rd.,Jonesville||336-526-5888|
|Generations (Good variety)||220 Winston Rd.,Jonesville||336-835-3095|
|WoodBox BBQ||401 N. Bridge St., Jonesville||336-526-4227|
|67 Pizza||1808 NC Hwy 67, Jonesville||336-526-4100|
|Cracker Barrel||1717 NC Hwy 67, Jonesville||336-835-6011|
|Bojangle’s||1652 NC Hwy 67, Jonesville||336-835-2991|
|Wendy’s||1630 NC Hwy 67, Jonesville||336-835-9214|
|BreakfastTime (Closes at 3pm)||1624 NC Hwy 67, Jonesville||336-835-5544|
|Miller’s Country Kitchen||1538 NC Hwy 67, Jonesville||336-258-2510|
|Cedarbrook Grill (Sandwiches, etc.)||225 Country Club Rd, State Road||336-835-2320|
|Pirate’s Landing (Seafood, Steaks, etc.)||161 Interstate Way, Elkin||336-366-4150|
|John Boys BBQ-Seafood (Good variety)||796 Elkin Hwy. 268, Elkin||336-835-4711|
|McDonald’s||479 CC Camp Rd., Elkin||336-526-1086|
|Amalfi’s (Calzones, etc.)||544 CC Camp Rd., Elkin||336-526-6186|