Hydro Station Timeline
Located on the Big Elkin Creek, Wilkes County
- Constructed by: Elkin Light and Power Company and placed in operation: 1914
- Sold to the Town of Elkin by deed dated February 15, 1915.
- Sold to Southern Public Utilities Company (Maine) by deed dated, June 29, 1926
- Sold to Southern Public Utilities (New Jersey) by deed dated, April 4, 1935
- Sold to Duke Power Company by deed dated, May 1, 1935
- Hydro Plant last operated when flume failed, June 21, 1967
- Power Station retired and dam breached, September 30, 1967
- Acreage, including the east side of Carter Falls sold to Attorney Daniel J. Park, mid 1980’s
- 43.3 acres, including east side of Carter Falls sold to the State of North Carolina, December 19, 2017
- Mountains to Sea Linear State Park Trail access to Carter Falls, opened to public for the first time, 2018
- Suspension Bridge across the lower section of Carter Falls, in the planning stage.